Filling ointments, pastes or gels in tubes is a common task in pharmaceuticals and cosmetic industry. The tube has to be sealed at proper orientation, looking at the print mark. The motor starts and rotates the tube around its own axis. The mark sensor activates when the position is proper for sealing. The stepper motor stops at this point. The sealing operation is carried out when the motor stops.
Instant start / stop is the unique property which makes it an ideal application for stepper motors.
One of our customers wanted to fill a liquid in small bottles. We provided a stepper motor, drive and controller for his rotary table (Can we specify the type of controller and drive here?). The bottles were manually loaded in the slots milled on periphery of rotary table.
The operation sequence was as follows-
1. At power on, table moved at a slow speed and looked for a HOME signal. It stopped when the HOME sensor activated. This brought one of the bottles exactly under the nozzle which dispensed liquid.
2. When motor stopped, a relay picked up for time T1, which was set on ORION controller. This relay pushed the nozzle down inside the bottle.
3. The liquid started flowing when another relay picked for time T2, again set from ORION controller.
4. The nozzle would go to its original position when dispensing is over.
5. Another sensor sensed that it has reached original position and restart the stepper motor.
6. Motor stopped when set traverse was completed, and the dispensing sequence would repeat.
When offered such a system, the customer was very satisfied since once the table was loaded, he was free to focus on other tasks and not adjust or spend more time with the system.